I Am Probably Wrong (and I’ll prove it)…

tibet1

Hello. My name is Brett. I am wrong a lot. And oddly enough, that makes me very happy.

Look back on your life and make a short mental list of those big concepts you outgrew, disproved, or fail to identify with anymore. On the simple end of that spectrum you may recall “Santa Clause” or “The Tooth Fairy”. On the more serious side you may even throw in “Religion” or “God”. Or maybe you’re struggling to think of anything at all. If so, perhaps this post will be more challenging for you, since you have always been right. If this is the case, please leave a comment. I can’t wait to read it.

Being aware of these changes in perspective can be very helpful. If you set out on life’s journey with the goal of finding the answers to everything, you can fall into a few traps along the way.

As is often the case, you can settle into a set of core beliefs early in life, refining them over time to fit most conveniently into your daily routine, circles of influence, purchasing habits, vices, political leanings and all that jazz. New information will naturally be seen as a threat to the “truth”. I really feel sorry for those who travel this road, because there are so many obstacles. If the core beliefs the individual acquired so early on happen to lack a certain depth or richness, it certainly will lose its potency, inspirational elements, and will naturally fall short. In more fundamentalist circles, many will constantly re-emphasize tenants of their worldview over and over, with increasingly combative or defensive rhetoric. Instead of the beliefs bringing peace, joy, etc., now they become divisive. The gaps, holes, and inadequacies are only filled with confusion, frustration, and fear.

On the other hand, many choose to abandon the pursuit of truth or meaningful reflection, instead embracing nihilism since their search for truth was so remarkably futile. Everything can become empty, robbed of its beauty. Your new-found enlightenment starts to carry its own religious tendencies. “Everything is meaningless!” you shout, over and over. You might tell yourself you wish it were different, that things do matter, but you have already built your walls high to protect the “self” from such naiveté. The ego is all that truly exists to you anymore.

Even in the middle there lies problems. You may carry a bitterness that poisons your honest attempts at personal growth. While you might change your beliefs, you feel almost ashamed that you have yet to discover who you truly are. Everyone else has it together, has kids, has a religion, has a hobby, knows who they are. Why are you still thinking about these issues? They have been long settled, right? Just figure it out and go with something, anything! Right? Instead of new revelations giving you new eyes to see, they only hit the replay button on your past. Instead of finding new “rights” you only see the past “wrongs”.

Wow. That stuff up there^… Heavy.

If you hadn’t guessed, I’ve been all three of those people. It sucks. There’s no other way to describe it. But what I can say is that being wrong is all about progress. It’s about awareness. Being aware of your actions, of their consequences, of who you are at any given moment… those are gifts. You cannot be expected by God, (wo)man, demon, angel, or any other being to have life figured out from the start, or by any point in time. Right now, we could all be completely wrong. Every last one of us. But maybe that is a good thing. Maybe something better is on its way. Who wants to cling to something less beautiful, something incomplete? I hope I’m wrong about so many things. My life has proven my wrongness thus far. I assume it will continue to do so.

You may have heard “The journey is the destination” or something else equally hippie. I think there’s a part of us that knows this is the case. But still… how can we know the journey is the destination? We must find out for ourselves. This blog will be a record of me doing exactly that.

And I have a feeling that it’s going to be epic.

About these ads

Comments

1. says

If you find that some of your beliefs are challenged, it can feel as if you yourself are being challenged. This is sometimes a painful process; but if growth results, it is also most rewarding. May the journey ahead represent an adventure for you! We will follow with anticipation.!

2. charles maynes says

Its great fun to ask Christians about their “Road to Damascus” experience…..

good luck with the new site Brett…

3. says

Wow! You just wrote my spiritual journey! Although I must admit that I am still struggling with flashes of gut wrenching fear that if my growth is wrong then I’m going to have to face that horrible, judging God that I was taught about as a child and teenager. The one I rebelled against so vehemently at 20. Even actually typing these adjectives to describe God, and not giving in to the desire to erase them, is very, very hard. At these times I remind myself that the reason I have come to reject these adjectives is because Christ is blessing me with the answering of my prayers. See, the biggest lesson I realize that I took from all of that churching as kid is, do not judge others, even with your mind. I pray every day that God will help me not judge others so rashly, even if it is only a flashing thought through my mind. He points it out every time. I will never stop believing that He exists and is very, very real (even if on occasion I think, what if that voice is only my own created conscious and that’s really all there is). And I will never stop asking Him to show me the correct path everyday. I hope I am not wrong, because who I have faith in is amazingly beautiful.

Oh, and by the way, for the first time EVER, I shared your page in a public post instead of just to my own friends. :)

4. says

I have been wrong. And I proved it. lol Welcome to the party. Being wrong and knowing it is the first step to discovering something that is right. Being wrong is an open door. Step through it with glee!

5. Sean B. says

Brett,
    If I understand, you are implying that everything you think you know could be contradicted by new information in the future and proven false or invalid. You seem to be saying that you could be wrong about everything you claim to know.
    Do I have that right?

• Sean B. says

“Precisely”
        This is why the Scriptures teach that:
        “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge” ~ Proverbs 1:7
        and
        “All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ” Col. 2:3
        Please understand, when one takes the position you do, they have abandoned knowledge.
        You can’t know anything according to the position: “I could be wrong about everything I claim to know.”
        Unless one STARTS with the God of Scripture as ones foundation for knowledge, it will always lead the self-contradictory statements such as that.

• says

“Because the Bible says so” is hardly a place to start, unless you simply want to believe it is so. I do not debate anymore, but thanks for the reply!

• Sean B. says

//“Because the Bible says so” is hardly a place to start, unless you simply want to believe it is so.//
        Problem is, you could be wrong about that.
        //I do not debate anymore, but thanks for the reply!//
        Why would you debate, discuss or promote anything if you could be wrong about it? Do you know that you do not debate anymore? You cannot even know that to be true!
        I urge you to repent of denying the God you know exists else your worldview is reduced to absurdity.
        Thanks for your time.

6. infernaltank says

Brett, if you accept the Bible, you still cannot know anything. I’ve asked several other presuppers if they could know if they were in the matrix with their revelation from their god, and they were unable to know if that was the case (they would keep going back to “god said so”).

Trackbacks